Agriculture Phenomena and Perspectives of Lebak Swamp in Jakabaring South Sumatra, Indonesia

Elisa Wildayana, M. Edi Armanto


The research aimed to analyze agriculture phenomena and perspectives of lebak swamp in Jakabaring South Sumatra Indonesia. The research used mix methods of quantitative and qualitative approaches. The description of the research area was assisted with interpretation of Landsat images in 1987 and 2015. The research resulted that farmer’s groups living in Jakabaring are divided into four group, namely indigenous people (people of Ogan, Komering, Musi, Enim, and Palembang), new comers (Javanese), spontaneous migration (Buginese, Banjarnese, Bataknese) and outside spontaneous migration (Chinese, Arabic). The total area of Jakabaring is approximately 5,525 ha, around 2,700 ha (48.87 %) was already landfilled by the Government in 1990, while the remaining 2,825 ha (51.13 %) is still not reclaimed. The landfill materials were directly sucked from mud, sand, silt and stones of the Musi River. Each lebak swamp typology shows specific soil characters, but after landfills all soils became homogenous because of uniform materials of landfills.  Patterns of land degradation after landfills are classified into three groups, namely making layers of water impermeability, changing vegetation types of land cover, and decreasing type and density of vegetation.

Keywords: Agriculture, phenomena, perspectives, lebak, swamp

JEL Classification: O13, Q01

Full Text:



Adriani, D. (2013). Ethnic and Women Farmer Participation Rate on Tidal Land in South Sumatra, Indonesia. International Journal of Humanities and Management Sciences (IJHMS), 1(3), 225-227.

Armanto, M.E., Syahrial, Susanto, R.H., & Probowati, D. S. (2010). Spatial Analyses of Landuse Changing in Tidal Lowland Areas (A Case Study of Saleh Delta Areas in Banyuasin District, South Sumatra). Proceedings of the International Seminar-Workshop on Integrated Lowland Development and Management, 18th – 20th March 2010, Palembang, Indonesia. p. A6-1 – A6-10.

Armanto, M.E., Adzemi, M.A., Wildayana, E., & Imanudin, M.S. (2013). Land Evaluation for Paddy Cultivation in the Reclaimed Tidal Lowland in Delta Saleh, South Sumatra, Indonesia. Journal of Sustainability Science and Management, 8 (1), 32-42.

Direktorat Rawa & Pantai. 2009. Potensi dan Tantangan Pengembangan Rawa Indonesia. Makalah pada Seminar Lokakarya Pengelolaan Rawa dalam Mendukung Ketahanan Pangan Nasional. Departemen Pekerjaan Umum. Hotel Nikko Jakarta.

Pogue, M. (2004). Investment Appraisal: A New Approach. Managerial Auditing Journal, 19(4), 565–570.

RePPProt. 1988. Review of phase 1 results: Sumatra. Land Resources Department, Natural Resources Institute, London and Departemen Transmigrasi, Jakarta.

Scholz, U. (1985). Spontaneous Rural Settlements and Deforestation in Southeast Asia; Examples from Thailand and Indonesia. Paper for the International Seminar on "Planning for Settlements in Rural Regions; The Case of Spontaneous Settlements" organized by United Nations Center for Human Settlements (Habitat), Nairobi/Kenya 11-20 November 1985

Sjarkowi, F., Arbain, A., Armanto, M.E., Santoso, U., Arjuna, J., Rifardi., Setiawan, A., Syahrul, J., Khairijon., & Azizah. (2007). Environmental Quality of Sumatra Island 2007. Center for Regional Environmental Management, Sumatra, State Ministry for Environment, Republic of Indonesia, Pekanbaru, Riau, p. 393.

Wildayana, E., Armanto, M.E., & Rahmawati, N. (2008). Pengembangan Program Pola Usahatani Agribisnis Spesifik Lokasi di Lahan Pasang Surut. Journal of Habitat, XIX (3), 223-236.

Wildayana, E. (2014). Formulating Oil Palm Investment Decision in Tidal Wetlands of South Sumatra, Indonesia. Journal of Wetlands Environmental Managements (JWEM), 2(2), 30-36.

Wildayana, E. (2015). Formulating Rice Fields Conversion Control to Oil Palm Plantations in Tidal Wetlands of South Sumatra, Indonesia. Journal of Wetlands Environmental Managements (JWEM), 3(2), 72-78.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

ISSN: 2086-1575  E-ISSN: 2502-7115

SHERPA/RoMEO LogoMoraref

 Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.